EUROPEAN ARMENIAN FEDERATION
for Justice & Democracy
Avenue dela Renaissance 10
Tel: +322 732 70 26
Tel/Fax:+322 732 70 27
For immediate release
September 11th, 2005
Contact :François Michel
Tel :+322 732 70 26
MAJOR CONFERENCE AT THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT
– On the eve of the negotiations kickoff with Turkey, many leading personalities will attend the public conference which will be held on Thursday the 22nd of September.
– The consultative meeting of European Armenians will take place on Friday the 23rd.
Brussels – Belgium : The conference organized on the 22nd of September by the European Armenian Federation on the theme “December 2004 – October 2005 ; Has Turkey changed?” promises to be a major political event:
This conference, supported by the EPP-ED parliamentary group, and especially br Dr. Ingo Friedrich, Vice-president of the Parliament, aims to take stock of Turkey situation, a couple of days before the probable negotiation kickoff with the European Union.
Several executives of Human Rights NGOs will give lectures as well as many political leaders from various European political parties. They will give an updated review on issues linked to Human rights and political criteria in this country, especially regarding freedom of expression, minorities rights, the role of army, the Cyprus issue, the denial policy and freedom of worship.
Beside Mr Friedrich, other speakers will be:
– Mr. Jacques Toubon, Vice-chairman of the EU-Turkey parliamentary delegation,
– Mr. Panagiotis Beglitis, member of the EU-Turkey parliamentary delegation,
– Mr. Francesco Enrico Speroni, Member of the European Parliament,
– Mr. Pierre Mirel, European Commission, Director for the Candidate Countries in the DG Enlargement,
– Mr. Philippe Kalfayan, General Secretary of the International Federation of Human Rights,
– Mr. Dogan Özgüden, President of Info-Türk foundation,
– Mrs. Hilda Tchoboian, President of the European Armenian Federation
– Mr. Irnerio Seminatore, President of the European Institute for International Relations,
– Mr. Oliver Money-Kyrle, Director of Projects Division, International Federation of Journalists,
– Mr. Franck Biancheri, President of Newropeans.
The following political leaders have also been invited and could confirm their participation :
– Mr. Michel Barnier, former French Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
– Mr. Francis Wurtz, President of the European United Left parliamentary group in the EP,
– Mr.Camiel Eurlings, MEP, Rapporteur on Turkey,
— Consultative Meeting of the European Armenians —
The day after, on Friday the 23rd of September, the Consultative Meeting of the European Armenians will take place. Just one year after the First Convention of the European Armenians, this meeting will allow the members of Armenian associations and organizations from more than twenty countries from the EU to tackle matter of concerns on the future of Europe : Turkey accession, new neighborhood policy toward Armenia, role of Armenian culture and remembrance in Europe and current issues such as Time Magazine and AXA issues.
« A few days before the 3rd of October, this conference is an unique opportunity for the European civil society to take action on the political fate of the Union” said Laurent Leylekian, Executive Director of the European Armenian Federation.
Information and registration form regarding these two events, open to everyone, are available on the website of the European Armenian Federation, www.eafjd.org/confwelcome.php3?lang=en