YEREVAN, NOVEMBER 26, ARMENPRESS: A monument to the great Armenian marine painter Ivan Ayvazovsky was set up today in central Yerevan near Komitas Chamber Music House. The official opening of the monument will take place later.
Ivan Aivazovsky (Hovhannes Ayvazian) was born in 1817 in the family of a merchant of Armenian origin in the town of Feodosia, Crimea. He graduated from St. Petersburg Academy of Arts, where he took the landscape painting course and was especially interested in marine landscapes.
In 1837, Aivazovsky received the Major Gold Medal for Calm in the Gulf of Finland (1836) and The Great Roads at Kronstadt (1836), which allowed him to go on a long study trip abroad. Aivazovsky evolved his own method of depicting the motion of the sea from memory, without preliminary sketches, limiting himself to rough pencil outlines.
He traveled much with Russian fleet expeditions on different missions, visiting visited Turkey, Greece, Egypt, America and spent much money for charity, especially for his native town, he opened in Feodosia the first School of Arts (in 1865), then the Art Gallery (in 1889). He was a member of Academies of Stuttgart, Florence, Rome and Amsterdam. He died in 1990.